Collecting Debate

Neil Jones Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 9 04:14:13 EDT 1997

In message <F030007777 at dannii.e-eng.hull.ac.uk> E.D.Chesmore at E-ENG.HULL.AC.UK writes:

> (To Neil Jones:  I looked at your web page on the collecting debate.  I
> hope you put as many opinions as possible on the page, including
> Tom Kral's)

> Dr David Chesmore, FRES
> Environmental Electronics Research Group
> Dept. of Electronic Engineering
> University of Hull, Hull, HU6 7RX
> Tel: +482 465062;  Fax: +482 466664
> Email:  E.D.Chesmore at E-Eng.Hull.AC.UK
> Web page: http://www.hull.ac.uk/php/eepmds/home.htm

The tone of this response is interesting since David Chesmore has looked
at my pages he knows I have not, as yet, added any postings by Tom Kral.

It is not my intention to be provocative but I feel that David Chesmore's
reponse does need clarification for those who are new.
For background look at
http://www.nwjones.demon.co.uk/rg/index.htm

I did not include postings by Kral not because of my dislike of the man but for
the following reasons.

1. David Chesmore had complained about people being abusive.

2. I have been attacked for provoking Kral.

3. There are sound reasons for not taking Kral seriously. These have been
explained to me by people who hold views opposite to my own.
Having spoken in person to a number of American Collectors my view is confirmed.

4. It would require a lot of effort to cover the subject of Kral's postings
properly so that I do  not give the impression:-

That one of my friends is a layabout.

That another is a Nazi War Criminal or similar.

That I believe in the existence of the Loch Ness Monster

That I believe in witchcraft.

That Tom Kral's prosecution is a result of a conspiracy of radical
vegetarians and econazis.

That I believe that the American Endangered Species Act should be removed
from the statutes because it is absolutely impossible for collecting to ever
harm a population.

That said perhaps in the interests of free speach I should add some of Kral's
arguements. This I may do when I have the time to do it properly.

--
Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk "The beauty and genius of a work of art
may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a