Butterflies and Homo sapiens

Patrick Roper proper at dial.pipex.com
Tue Sep 9 08:19:50 EDT 1997

Maybe subscribers to LEPS list who have been debating whether humans are
higher species that insects would like to consider the little poem by
Emily Dickinson written well over one hundred years ago:-

	The Butterfly upon the Sky

	The Butterfly upon the sky,
	That doesn't know its Name
	And hasn't any tax to pay
	And hasn't any Home

	Is just as high as you and I,
	And higher, I believe,
	So soar away and never sigh
	And that's the way to grieve -

Since she would appear to be referring to an unnamed species it would
clearly be necessary to collect voucher specimens (for more literally
minded readers I must point out that I am being ironic here).

Finally, can anyone explain why she switched at the end to a comment about
grieving?

Patrick Roper

--
South View, Churchland Lane, Sedlescombe, East Sussex TN33 0PF, UK
Telephone: +44 (0) 1424 870208  Fax: +44 (0) 1424 870208
Mobile: 0468 474936  Email:proper at dial.pipex.com