Collecting Moths

Dave Chesmore E.D.Chesmore at e-eng.hull.ac.uk
Thu Sep 11 04:37:07 EDT 1997

Neil Jones said that most of the recorders in his area do no collect
voucher specimens of moths.  I am involved in moth surveys in my
local area and is it IMPOSSIBLE to identify all species in poor lighting
conditions (UV lights) and when 100's and possibly 1000's of moths
are flying round.  This is even more the case when micro moths are
concerned.

Personally, I need to keep voucher specimens of some species for 2
reasons:

1.  To be able to properly identify them, and to be able to use them
again in the future to help identify others (a reference collection).

2.  To show to the county recorders who will not accept records from
anyone without evidence.

I have a recent example.  I have 2 specimens of what might be the
Twin-spotted Wainscot (Archanara geminipuncta) from a private site in
Yorkshire.  These specimens also look remarkably like the
Brown-veined Wainscot (A. dissoluta) even though the 2 species are
supposed to be easily separable.  The Twin-spotted Wainscot is very
rare in Yorkshire and you can imagine the county recorder's reaction
when I say I have found the species and no voucher specimens - he
would not accept the record.

I may be wrong and they are Brown-veined Wainscots in which case
the records are merely interesting.  We are all fallible and make
mistakes, the more evidence the better.

I am sorry Neil, but recording without voucher specimens is not good
science.  Maybe there are people who can identify 850 macro moths
and over 1500 micros by sight but I doubt it.

Dr David Chesmore, FRES
Control & Intelligent Systems Engineering Research Group
Dept. of Electronic Engineering
University of Hull, Hull, HU6 7RX
Tel: +482 465062;  Fax: +482 466664
Email:  E.D.Chesmore at E-Eng.Hull.AC.UK
Web page: http://www.hull.ac.uk/php/eepmds/home.htm