Collecting Debate

Mark Walker mwalker at aisvt.bfg.com
Thu Sep 11 18:56:25 EDT 1997

Neil Jones wrote:

> First let me say that I approve very much of Bob Kreigel's devotion to
> his work on endangered species. However he has demonstrated what I believe
> to be a common cultural perception amongst collectors which is not accepted
> by people who do not collect. It is a point quite central to the debate.

You _approve_?  Gee whiz, Neil, that's pretty egocentric.  I respect your
conviction not to kill insects, really.  I don't mind your attempt to _educate_
me as to the merits of such a conviction, either.  But tell me you're not
trying to force your conviction on me and legislate the net out of my hands,
please!  It simply would be wrong to do so, for many reasons not yet voiced in
this debate.  If you speak for non-collectors, then I will speak for collectors
- WE ARE NOT PART OF THE PROBLEM.  I guarantee you that I will save 50 species
from destruction before I eliminate even 1.  Meanwhile, my children, my
co-workers, the neighborhood school children, and everyone else who is
ill-fated enough to drop by my house will continue to become more educated
about insect fauna and the very issues that you are concerned about.

Anyway, be happy.  The collecting season here in Vermont is very short indeed.

Mark Walker.