saddleback moth

Roger C. KENDRICK kendrick at hkusua.hku.hk
Sat Sep 13 21:35:47 EDT 1997

William F. Goldman wrote:

> I found a saddleback moth in my garden today; it's the first one I've
> seen.  From what I've learned so far, it's a moth larva.
Sure is; belongs to the Family Limacodidae.

> Does anyone know if images of the moth are posted anywhere.  If not, I would
very
> much appreciate if someone would post one. I'm really curious about what
> it looks like.
Where in the world (literally) are you / did you see this caterpillar
(there are lots of moth species in this family, so it's difficult to say
whether the species you saw will actually have its portrait on the web)
???

For example,
If you're from Australia, check out the Australian Moth Larvae homepage
http://linus.socs.uts.edu.au/~don/larvae/moths.html and search the
Limacodidae.
If you're in Hong Kong, check out
http://web.hku.hk/~kendrick/lim/hklima.htm.
There are also plenty of other countries which have Limacodidae pictures
on the web: you could try searching through Electronic resources on
Lepidoptera http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Environment/NHR/lepidoptera.html,
country by country for pictures or go through the photos section. These
links should keep you busy for a few minutes.

regards,

Roger.

Roger C. KENDRICK
PhD student & Demonstrator, Dept of Ecology & Biodiversity
The University of Hong Kong
fax: (852) 24885285
mailto:kendrick at hkusua.hku.hk
http://web.hku.hk/~kendrick/hkmoth.htm   + Hong Kong Moths ;
mail: Kadoorie Agricultural Research Centre
      The University of Hong Kong
      Lam Kam Road, Shek Kong,
      Yuen Long, New Territories
      Hong Kong