'Endangered' Luna Moths

lday at iquest.net lday at iquest.net
Mon Sep 15 22:32:51 EDT 1997

An added point is that the moth may be doing fine in much of its range,
but if you're a 10-year-old kid who likes bugs, and luna has been
extirpated from the area where you live, it doesn't do you much good!
:-(  I would have killed to see a luna moth during my childhood in the
overdeveloped suburbs of Chicago.  I only saw them in field guides.
I could hardly believe it when, as an adult, I saw them by the dozen
in southern Illinois (300 miles from anywhere I could have ridden my bike
to as a child).  People need nature where they live.

Liz Day
LDAY at iquest.net
Indianapolis, Indiana, central USA, 40 N latitude, zone 5.
http://www.iquest.net/~lday