Collecting and Mitchell's Satyr

Mark Walker mwalker at aisvt.bfg.com
Tue Sep 16 17:38:08 EDT 1997

Michael,

How many individuals do you estimate were collected and in what time period?
Were the NJ populations unique in some way?  Why the interest in collecting
them locally?  Was there an economic interest?

If collecting was responsible for reducing a significant percentage of the
population, then I would suggest that the collectors involved violated the
basic collecting ethic that no one that I know of has argued against.  The
collectors clearly knew that the species were locally few in numbers, and yet
you've said that the location was visited daily.  My problem with this is that
it insinuates that all collectors behave in like manner, and that they aren't
to be trusted.  It provides fuel for generalization.

Mark Walker