'Endangered' Luna Moths

Mark Walker mwalker at aisvt.bfg.com
Tue Sep 16 17:47:21 EDT 1997

> :-(  I would have killed to see a luna moth during my childhood in the
> overdeveloped suburbs of Chicago.

Know what you mean, Liz.  In Southern California (c.1968) the Luna simply
represented a fantasy.  No such creature could possibly exist for real.  I saw
a few that were dried in envelopes, but it wasn't until this last spring that I
saw one for real - resting on my window while I was eating breakfast.  So big
and so green - and so docile.  I guess they're easy to rear, which is probably
the appropriate way to interact with Saturniids.

Mark Walker.