Voucher specimens

Kenelm Philip fnkwp at aurora.alaska.edu
Sat Sep 20 15:52:15 EDT 1997

	With regard to Neil Jones' comments on my remarks on collecting
unthreatened leps:

>It was not an attempt to over collect the literature indicates that it was
>simply greed by those who did not care.

Neil is correct, of course--I'm sure the collectors were after specimens,
rather than just trying to 'overcollect' for no other reason. Just as
most speeding drivers are presumably trying to drive fast rather than
aiming at breaking the law for no other reason than lawbreaking. The
result, however, is speeding, just as the result of greed is overcollecting.

>You would do better to say Britain or the UK.

When I said 'England' I was, oddly enough, thinking about England itself,
not about Wales or Scotland or Northern Ireland. (I don't think we have
heard anything about the conservation situation in Northern Ireland. :-) )

>No but the attitudes it encourages may.

This in response to my comment that rampant collecting does not seem poised
to destroy the butterflies of Alaska. With 40% of the state's area requiring
permits to collect even a mosquito, as well as having the habitat protected,
how do the attitudes encouraged by collecting threaten the butterflies of
Alaska? They seem to be in fairly good shape, aside from global warming and
long-range pollution, that is. And I find it hard to believe that those two
phenomena are the results of improper attitudes towards collecting
butterflies...

							Ken Philip
fnkwp at aurora.alaska.edu