Preston

Graham Dixon Troubleatmill at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 7 08:05:45 EDT 1998

Took advantage of the 3 hours of bright warm sunshine, this morning, to
have a look on the local council nature reserve (Preston Junction  a
disused railway line just south of Preston, Lancashire {NW England})

I would normally expect to see orange Tips Anthocharis cardamines at this
time of year, none in evidence.

However there were 5 Peacocks Inachis io and 1 Small tortoiseshell Alglais
urticae.

Another point of note (insect-wise) I witnessed what must have been a
spontaneous eruption of Water crickets Velia caprai (or very similar) on a
slack part of a drainage ditch. The surface was completely covered with
them THOUSANDS.

Graham Dixon