Monarchs in New Zealand?

Doug Yanega dyanega at mono.icb.ufmg.br
Tue Apr 14 10:23:11 EDT 1998

>>Can anyone tell me (1) are monarchs known to be in the southern
>>hemisphere, and (2) what are their migration patterns?

We've got them here in Brazil, that's for sure, and I'll be darned if I can
see why some people treat them as a separate species - even a subspecies
(D. plexippus erippus) seems iffy to me. They look like pretty ordinary
Monarchs to me. Anyone done breeding tests to check?
As for migration, there doesn't appear to be any documentation of Brazilian
Monarchs migrating, at least not that I've found.

Peace,

Doug Yanega    Depto. de Biologia Geral, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas,
Univ. Fed. de Minas Gerais, Cx.P. 486, 30.161-970 Belo Horizonte, MG   BRAZIL
phone: 031-449-2579, fax: 031-441-5481  (from U.S., prefix 011-55)
                  http://www.icb.ufmg.br/~dyanega/