Butterfly abundance

Tom Allen Tallen at mail.dnr.state.wv.us
Mon Aug 3 10:15:52 EDT 1998

Earlier there was much concern about the scarcity of butterflies,
especially in the East, presumably blamed on the wet weather we had
earlier this year.  In West Virginia we had a very heavy spring
flight of many species, especially swallowtails.  It is now time for
the summer flight, although a little delayed, but there are as many
butterflies now as I can remember seeing in any summer.  My Buddleias
are covered with swallowtails and skippers daily.  Numbers along the
highways are also high.  Last month I was in the southern part of the
state, and saw more Silver-spotted Skippers than I have ever seen.
Made locating A. cellus larvae almost impossible.  Just thought you'd
like to know we have lots of butterflies in West Virginia.

Tom Allen