Rare Butterfly from China mainland

Sharyn Fernandez botany at centurion.flash.net
Fri Aug 7 22:14:49 EDT 1998

You know - I think you sould just as blase about the USDA efforts as he
does about CITIES efforts, acutally ... Sorry -meaning if people are going
to post to this listserver, that they have larvae or pupae for sale, they
should be eliciting potential buyers permit nos. and supplying their
addresses; & (for the USA, anyway,  I realize) the states where they are
permitted to sell to. I'm having trouble getting monarchs from out-of-state
even tho' I assure people that I'm going to release them at Marine World
(after my observation house or display box program...) - AND there are
powers that be that want to confine  obtaining larvae, etc.,  to local
counties (to preserve population genetics, I guess) -- comments?-Thanks
Sharyn F.

>regarding this matter... what about all the other postings of larvae/pupa
>>for sale;
>
>They're not advertising species which are protected by international
>agreement (CITES)
>
>>Also, what exactly is the
>>REd Book?
>
>The list of protected species.
>
>If you've seen other postings of mine, you should know that I am wholly in
>favor of commercial farming of Lepidoptera (and other insects), and if that
>was how all international trade was handled, I would be perfectly happy
>with it all. I am NOT in favor of dealing in endangered species such as
>Leuhdorfia chinensis, nor am I in favor of these outfits where some foreign
>middleman pays locals pennies per specimens and then turns around and
>pockets a 2000% profit. That is unethical exploitation, pure and simple,
>and as an ethical person - REGARDLESS of the scientific or legal aspects
>(which are also rather negative) - I am outraged by such practices, and
>will do what I can to discourage them. Most of the ads on the list are
>people offering common species for sale (Polyphemus pupae, etc.), and as
>long as they're not being shipped out of the country, or released by the
>purchasers - neither of which can be evident from the postings - there is
>no real problem. There is no ambiguity in Mr. Lu's case. I have found out
>that he is using a series of false addresses and anonymous remailers to
>conceal his actual e-mail and web providers, so there is NO QUESTION that
>he recognizes his activities are illegal. No one uses anonymous remailers
>*by accident*. This is the kind of person we should ALL condemn.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Doug Yanega    Depto. de Biologia Geral, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas,
>Univ. Fed. de Minas Gerais, Cx.P. 486, 30.161-970 Belo Horizonte, MG   BRAZIL
>phone: 031-449-2579, fax: 031-441-5481  (from U.S., prefix 011-55)
>                  http://www.icb.ufmg.br/~dyanega/
>  "There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness
>        is the true method" - Herman Melville, Moby Dick, Chap. 82

Sharyn Fernandez
Butterflies & Botany
botany at flash.net
Concord California USA