Help!

Semjase semjase at aol.com
Sun Aug 16 17:00:06 EDT 1998

>> Honey and water might be a better food.
>>

>Not that it matters in this case, but it's not recommended for butterfly
>and hummingbird feeders because it doesn't keep well. If you use it,
>keep it refrigerated, but don't serve it chilled.
>Best thing to do is to kill the little guy, because obviously it isn't
>having fun. (I wouldn't be able to do that.)
>Second best would be to see whether trimming off the damaged part, and
>cutting the opposite wing to match, will leave it enough wings to fly.
>If it can even flutter a little, the next step is to put it out in your
>milkweed patch and go away.
>A butterfly is a device for making more butterflies. It may still be
>able to do that.
>Now whether it is desirable genetic material (having failed to emerge
>properly) is another question. Letting nature make that sort of decision
>is an awfully good idea.
>Anne Kilmer
>South Florida

The problem appears that it fell while pupating  and the pupa hardened with one
side flat.  This usually results in a butterfly with some degree of
disfigurement. It may  be able to fly but it is needed to give it a day or two
for that to happen assuming that the disfigurement is not too severe.
Otherwise it can be kept for a pet in an encosure of some sort with an
artificial plant to rest on.

Best Wishes

S.