Hyles lineata in AZ.

Tom Middagh trgarden at frontiernet.net
Wed Aug 19 18:53:40 EDT 1998

I was in Southern Arizona a couple weeks ago and the area has had above
average rainfall.  I am not familiar with this area but I was told that it
is not a common thing to be wet and green this time of year.
      I was wondering if these conditions would produce a bumper crop of
insects next year.  I just was amazed at the polulation level of the white
line sphinx larva.  Any area that had a foodplant had at least a half dozen
larva per square foot some times more.  These areas would be along little
used roads that went for very long distances.  If predation is not keeping
up things are going to be thick at night in AZ in 1999.