Monarchs and Migrants Weekend

Donald A. Davis donald.davis at utoronto.ca
Tue Aug 25 00:58:51 EDT 1998

August 22, 1998

MEDIA ADVISORY

MONARCHS AND MIGRANTS WEEKEND
HOSTED BY PRESQU'ILE PROVINCIAL PARK
Saturday, August 29 to Monday, August 31

Each year visitors to Presqu'ile Provincial park are invited to witness
& participate in one of nature's most unusual and spectacular events,
the fall migration of hundreds of Monarch butterflies and shorebirds.

In this, our 13th year, some of the weekend highlights include:

 	Monarch Tagging Demonstrations with Don Davis, Secretary/Treasurer for
the Friends of Presqu'ile Park is an expert on the Monarch butterfly,
its migration and tagging methods. Visitors will learn how the tagging
is done, why we do it and have the opportunity to release a tagged
Monarch butterfly off Presqu'ile Point to set it on its long flight to
Mexico.

 	Bird Banding Demonstrations with Elizabeth Kellogg, a licensed bander
and local instructor on bird banding. You will see how a bird is banded,
learn about the different kinds of bands, and how we use the information
to study the birds and monitor their migration patterns.

 	Shorebird Viewing Stations conducted by expert volunteer birders from
Presqu'ile and the Presqu'ile-Brighton Naturalists. Volunteers will
assist visitors in sighting and identifying shorebirds though spotting
scopes that will be set up at various locations along the natural beach.
.

 	Monarch and Migrants Evening Slide Presentation by Don Davis and Park
Naturalist Steve Laforest. Visitors will learn why so many Monarch
butterflies and migrating birds pass through Presqu'ile Provincial Park.

Altogether there will be 20 activities and interpretive programs offered
over the weekend. Detailed schedules are posted throughout the park and
copies are available upon request or on your arrival at the Main Gate or
Campground Office. Admission to all events is free to all registered
park visitors with a valid park permit. Regular park entrance and
camping fees will apply.

For More Information Contact:
Christine Martin, Senior Natural Heritage Education Leader
Presqu'ile Provincial Park
R.R.#4
Brighton, Ontario   K0K 1H0
(613) 475-4324