Phoebis sennae migration underway

DR. JAMES ADAMS jadams at Carpet.dalton.peachnet.edu
Tue Aug 25 11:41:23 EDT 1998

To whomever is interested:

           There have been several notable movements of typically
soutern taxa northward this year, with P. sennae perhaps being the
most notable in terms of abundance.  They've been super abundant here
in N. GA since mid-July, and I even saw them in April this year.  My
bet is that they'll make it quite a ways north this year.  My mom in
the Kansas City area has said that they are common this year already.
Should see some in southern Canada before the end of the season.
Also be looking for the Long-Tailed Skipper (Urbanus proteus) --
they've shown up in good numbers here, as opposed to an occasional
individual in September or October typical of most years.  Panoquina
ocola has already been recorded in Kentucky this year.  Keep your
eyes open; could be some real surprises in areas quite far north this
fall.

           James