Moth Guide and revisions

Rob Hilton robert at csa.com
Tue Aug 25 14:42:50 EDT 1998

At 09:37 PM 8/22/98 -0500, Charles V. Covell Jr. wrote:
>I have a few copies of the Field Guide to Moths if any of you wish to
>get one.  Please respond to me at the above address for details.  Note
>that Peterson Field Guides that have been "retained," such as Opler's
>EASTERN BUTTERFLIES, have been somewhat revised, with new cover, etc.
>The moth guide did not "make the cut."

It is unfortunate that the moths guide didn't make the cut!  I managed to
purchase a copy from England and it is a nice book.  Last night I used it
to identify a moth in my house (it was closest to Semiothisa occelinata,
the Faint-spotted Angle)

Not every Houghton Mifflin field guide is being revised.  All are getting
new covers but as far as I can tell from brief perusals in my local book
store the following are NOT being enhanced in the fashion of Opler (which
has many new photographs added)
Beetles
Eastern Birds
Western Birds (if it's out--if the Eastern one is not, I don't see why the
Western one would)
Texas Birds (ditto)
Mammals
Animal Tracks
Northeastern Wildflowers
?Mushrooms

These *are* being enhanced (with new photographs and maybe more):
Eastern Trees
Eastern Reptiles/Amphibians
Eastern Butterflies

Best,