Butterfly colonies

evoluhol at magnum.wpe.com evoluhol at magnum.wpe.com
Wed Aug 26 08:04:12 EDT 1998

> 1-Are there distinguishing male/female characters in black swallowtails?
>    What larval hostplant has worked best for these?  Queen Anne's Lace,
>      parsely, dill?

Male/Female difference is classic - Male has large yellow spots and
limited blue, females have tiny yellow spots and a broad blue band on hind
wings -- determined to be part of the pipevine swallowtail mimicry
complex.  For me in upstate NY there is a decided preference for carrots
or dill, but have noted females ovipositing on three inch tall queen anns
lace.  Female is pictured on Peterson Field Guide - East (Opler)

Monarchs here in July always stay coupled for hours, even when alarmed and
flying.  In June they are already mated when they arrive, in August they
are sexually immature and will not mate till next February in Mexico.  I
have a number of different milkweeds here on my nature preserve, but the
only one the monarchs oviposit on is the common milkweed - Ascelepas
syriaca.  I am sure others have had experience of them feeding on other
milkweeds -- I have seen monarch and queen larva feeding side by side in
Jamaica on an almost treelike milkweed with lavender flowers.

Dave Bouton