extirpation of butterflies by weeds

Liz Day lday at iquest.net
Thu Aug 27 01:42:55 EDT 1998

> recent article in Newsweek mentions that purple loosestrife has "overrun
> wetlands in 42 states...and pushed several species of rare...butterflies to
> the brink". can anyone provide citations for literature (formally published
> or otherwise) on this topic

Well, Newsweek must have gotten this info from *somebody*.  Does it say in
the article who that person/s is?  Find them, and ask them for sources.

Discussion of loosestrife impact in general (not sure if covers
butterflies) found in:

Thompson, Stuckey, Thompson, 1987.  _Spread, Impact, and Control of
Purple Loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria) in North American Wetlands_.  US
Dept of Interior, Fish & Wildlife Service, Washington DC.

The Nature Conservancy offices in Illinois and Indiana (John!) probably
know more about butterflies since they restore wetlands, prairies and
savannas, which are ALWAYS fighting weeds (by which I assume you mean
exotic plants), and because there are people in both these states
interested in butterflies and their habitat (for instance, the Karner Blue
effort around the Indiana Dunes).

Anyone who manages natural areas in your area should have some idea
whether the weeds you mention will take over or die out.

Liz Day
LDAY at iquest.net
Indianapolis, Indiana, central USA - 40 N latitude, zone 5b.