Alaska Counties.

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Fri Dec 4 15:00:41 EST 1998

Ken wrote from Alaska:

> 	Alaska does not have, and never has had, counties. The nearest
> thing to counties in Alaska are the boroughs, but these cover only limited
> portions of the state. According to my wall map of Alaska, Juneau is in
> its own borough.

	Now that is some fascinating information.  I find that particularly
interesting, considering the fact that Alaska is such a recent addition to
the United States.  Maybe that's the reason - the fact that the region was
already partitioned according to boroughs and the state government found no
good reason to change it - but it's a bit curious considering Alaska's being
a frontier state (the borough's I mean).

	I suppose it would cost a ton of money to make something like that
happen anyway (and not that I am particularly sold on the county system).
It is interesting information, though, and available only here on LEPS-L!  I
guess I'd have to change my labeling format if I ever have the privilege of
collecting insects in Alaska.

	Sorry for the US-centric reponse (if you really choose to consider
Alaska as part of the US };>)

	Mark Walker
	Mission Viejo, CA