Gulf Fritillaries and strange oviposition

Dale Clark nardoz at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 4 15:30:15 EST 1998

Here in Dallas, Texas, after a night of storms, the sun is out and the
temps are in the 70's.  Agraulis vanillae (Gulf Fritillary) are flying
about the backyard in some numbers -- at least a dozen -- nectaring and
ovipositing.  While enjoying the sunshine with a book on the deck, my
exposed leg was in contact occasionally with some tendrails of
Passiflora caerulea.  After a while I felt something on my leg and
looked down to see a female Agraulis vanillae fluttering above my leg
and "testing" it with her legs and antennae (actually, only one as this
was all she had).  Sure enough, in a moment she curled her abdomen
around and deposited a single egg on my leg.  That's a first for me.

Dale Clark
Dallas, Texas