Alaska Counties.

hmb7707 at my-dejanews.com hmb7707 at my-dejanews.com
Fri Dec 4 20:11:19 EST 1998

In article <45F8A30CE009D2118F850000F805064D8FE162 at hqmail.gensym.com>,
  MWalker at gensym.com wrote:

(big snip)

> 	I suppose it would cost a ton of money to make something like that
> happen anyway (and not that I am particularly sold on the county system).
> It is interesting information, though, and available only here on LEPS-L!  I
> guess I'd have to change my labeling format if I ever have the privilege of
> collecting insects in Alaska.
>
> 	Sorry for the US-centric reponse (if you really choose to consider
> Alaska as part of the US };>)
>
> 	Mark Walker
> 	Mission Viejo, CA

Actually in Alaska, the borough boundries change, not very often
but they do...an example is the ongoing dispute between the
Haines Borough and the City and Borough of Juneau over who "owns"
the ground where the Kensington Mine is - its in the Juneau borough
presently, but Haines is making a cast the it should be in part the
Haines borough - its a taxing authority issue - and the Kensington
is much closer to Haines than Juneau.

Boroughs come is different sizes - The North Slope Borough has a land
area of 87,861 sq miles (about the size of California) while the
Bristol Bay Borough is a relatively tiny 519 sq miles. To make things
more complex, most of the state is in the "Unorganized Borough" (no
borough at all) and is administered directly by the Alaska Dept of
Community and Regional Affairs.

However, you won't have to change your labeling format for defining
where things like where insects are collected - in Alaska we use the
USGS 1:250,000 quadrangle area names for that kind of thing.

Something in the Juneau area would be in the Juneau quad - you'd
just put "Juneau" where you usually would put the county name.
look at: http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/ssd/gisdata/qmqa.htm
to get an idea of what I'm getting at.

Hans - Juneau, AK