where are all the Monarchs?

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Fri Dec 4 17:16:12 EST 1998

Thanks for the info Paul.  I'm aware of the butterflies that fly with the
turkey vultures along the ridge by Kathyrn Drive.  I'm also aware of a
colony that overwinters on eucalyptus just north of San Simeon State park,
near the road that follows San Simeon Creek.  I was not aware of the site
behind the Hamlet restaurant.

I spend a lot of time in Cambria. I lived there for awhile, wiring the Green
Tree Motel, along with many custom homes, while going to school at Cal Poly.
My parents live on Buckley Dr., and I have sadly seen much of the pristine
ranch land and Monterey Pine forest disappear to development on the north
end.  I've often wondered how many other butterfly trees there might be out
in the undeveloped forest habitat behind the town.

There's another nice site in the riparian habitat just south of Cuesta
College.  I'll bet there's more on the land at the Diablo Canyon PG&E
nuclear reactor site.  I'm always interested in finding out about more.

Mark Walker.