East Coast Monarchs

Brian Scholtens scholtensb at cofc.edu
Mon Dec 7 05:54:04 EST 1998

Jim and Mike,

Here in Charleston, SC we also regularly see Monarchs in the winter as
long as temperatures are favorable.  With this mild fall we have had
quite a few still around.  I was out over Thanksgiving at a local spot
that is well known as a stop over for birds during migration and saw
about 25-30 monarchs.  They were not actively flying around with the
other butterflies (16 total species at the end of November!), but were
in the fire breaks and power line cuts.  If I disturbed them, they
would fly, but then settle down again fairly quickly in the
vegetation.

Brian Scholtens
Biology Dept.
College of Charleston