Polygonia c-aureum auteur ?

Roger C. KENDRICK kendrick at hkusua.hku.hk
Fri Dec 11 08:29:31 EST 1998

Following on from this info. provided by Gaden Robinson, I shall edit the HKLG
website as appropriate. The source for the HKLG site was Mike Bascombe's list
of butterflies form South China and Hong Kong published in 1995 in the Memoirs
of the Hong Kong Natural History Society. It would seem an amendment to the
list is necessary!

Thanks to Guy and Gaden for bringing this matter to my attention.

Roger (a.k.a. HKLG webmaster)

Gaden S. Robinson wrote:

> >A few moments ago I was trying to find the year Linnaeus published the
> >butterfly now known as Polygonia c-aureum.
> >Can anybody help me out?
>
> The original description is by Linnaeus, 1758, Systema Naturae (edn 10),
> 1:477.
>
> "C. aureum. 116. P. N. alis angulatis fulvis nigro-maculatis; posticis
> subtus C aureo notatis. Habitat in Asia. Simillimus Pap. C albo, sed duplo
> major, subtus magis luteo-nebulosus & C aureo minori notatus."
>
> Malcolm Scoble and Martin Honey will shortly complete and publish a full
> catalogue and typification of the Linnaean butterflies which will provide a
> long-overdue clarification of this vital baseline. I *think* butterflies
> are the only remaining Lepidoptera for which this has not been done.
>
> Gaden Robinson

> Gaden S. Robinson, DSc, Research Entomologist, Department of Entomology,
> The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, LONDON SW7 5BD, UK
> Tel: +44-(0)171-938-9494. Fax: +44-(0)171-938-8937.
> INTERNET: gsr at nhm.ac.uk
> WWW: http://www.nhm.ac.uk/entomology/ [and]
>      http://nhm.ac.uk/entomology/hostplants/
> Research programs: Microlepidoptera systematics; hostplant database

Roger C. KENDRICK   B.Sc.(Hons.)
PhD student & Demonstrator, Dept of Ecology & Biodiversity
The University of Hong Kong
mailto:kendrick at hkusua.hku.hk
http://web.hku.hk/~kendrick/hkmoth.htm   « Hong Kong Moths »
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Canopy/1085/   « H.K. Lepidoptera Group »
mail: Kadoorie Agricultural Research Centre
      The University of Hong Kong
      Lam Kam Road, Shek Kong,
      Yuen Long, New Territories
      Hong Kong