Polygonia c-aureum auteur ?

Gaden S. Robinson gsr at nhm.ac.uk
Fri Dec 11 06:07:42 EST 1998

>A few moments ago I was trying to find the year Linnaeus published the
>butterfly now known as Polygonia c-aureum.
>Can anybody help me out?

The original description is by Linnaeus, 1758, Systema Naturae (edn 10),
1:477.

"C. aureum. 116. P. N. alis angulatis fulvis nigro-maculatis; posticis
subtus C aureo notatis. Habitat in Asia. Simillimus Pap. C albo, sed duplo
major, subtus magis luteo-nebulosus & C aureo minori notatus."

Malcolm Scoble and Martin Honey will shortly complete and publish a full
catalogue and typification of the Linnaean butterflies which will provide a
long-overdue clarification of this vital baseline. I *think* butterflies
are the only remaining Lepidoptera for which this has not been done.

Gaden Robinson

Gaden S. Robinson, DSc, Research Entomologist, Department of Entomology,
The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, LONDON SW7 5BD, UK
Tel: +44-(0)171-938-9494. Fax: +44-(0)171-938-8937.
INTERNET: gsr at nhm.ac.uk
WWW: http://www.nhm.ac.uk/entomology/ [and]
     http://nhm.ac.uk/entomology/hostplants/
Research programs: Microlepidoptera systematics; hostplant database