Hedgerows

Graham Dixon Troubleatmill at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 16 10:50:37 EST 1998

(I think this applies only to UK hedges)

I thought that you may find this interesting, the next time you're looking
at "what's about" in the hedgerow.

The Hooper system for dating hedges (Doctor Max Hooper)
Taken from - The Hedgerow Book - Ron Wilson

"The important fact in determining the age of a hedge is the number of
shrubs growing in it. Dr Hooper looked at a large number of hedges. His
method is to count the number of speciies in a 33ft (30 metre) stretch of
hedge. Wher only one species is found, the hedge will be about 100 years
old; if two species are growing there the hedge was 'planted' 200 years ago;
if three species 300, and so on. A hedge with ten species may have been in
existence for a thousand years or more.
It must be remembered that this method does not apply to herbs, the smaller
common plants of the hedge - brambles, nettles, and so on - but to those
shrubs which, in their own right, will grow into trees or strong bushes:
hawthorn, blackthorn, elder, holly, ash, horse chestnut etc".

The book goes on to say that the actual formula is:-

"Age of hedge in years = (99xnumber of species) - 16.

If you want to try and date local hedges, try Parish Boundary hedges or
hedges that follow irregular lines (as opposed to being dead straight).

A hedge with ten or more shrubs probably goes back to the time of the Norman
Conquest."

On a personal note I would be interested to know if anyone can explain the
mathematics that were used to arrive at this formula. (I'm glad I didn't
post this on April 1st

--
KEEP MUSIC LIVE
http://www.btinternet.com/~troubleatmill