2nd RFD for uk.rec.lepidoptera

Neil Jones Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Sat Dec 19 07:54:22 EST 1998

In article <75eqbm$16e$1 at newnews.global.net.uk>
           mervyn97 at yahoo.com "Sean Danischevsky" writes:

> er, I have two questions.  First is, how come you're going through this
> lengthy referendum procedure when other people just create them (usually
> idiotic names like alt.bin.erotic.sux.log.lengthyname ?
>
> The second is, what is a lepidoptera?
>
> Sean

Lepidoptera is plural. Lepidoptera are butterflies and moths.
It is the tecnical term and due to one of the oddities of the
English language the only word we have to describe them both.
The word comes from ancient Greek Lepis= a Scale and Pteron
= a wing

--
Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.nwjones.demon.co.uk/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn Bog