Query : hornets attracted to light but not wasps

Kurt Jacobs kurtjacobs at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 24 12:40:14 EST 1998

I do not receive many hornets at UV or MV lights, but I believe it is
because of the location that I collect.  I do not use a trap, but check the
area every 1/2 hour or so.  The area is moderately suburban, so hornets are
generally eradicated immediately when nests are found.

I have always noticed a few paper wasps, many long tail wasps (parasitic,
some large, unidentified), an occasional but rare honey bee (must have been
out late), and of course many species of flies.  Once I collected a giant
water bug (3 inches) that I still think escaped from a Chinese restaurant,
as I have never encountered another of that species.  Stick insects are also
attracted in fall.

I have noticed that amphibians are attracted to the UV lights including
salamanders, frogs, etc, but that when a MV light is used in conjunction,
amphibians are not attracted to the area.

Kurt Jacobs.

Prichard,AW,NAR7 PRICHAA2 M wrote in message
<199812220909.EAA25640 at gr.its.yale.edu>...
>Hi
>
>My experience from moth trapping is that many more hornets turn up at the
UV