Query : hornets attracted to light but not wasps

Eric or Pat Metzler spruance at infinet.com
Tue Dec 29 13:11:41 EST 1998

Jim,

I noticed that you carefully did not say the hymenops were attracted to
light, rather they are coming to the moths.  In fact, I find the
hymenops in my bait traps too.  I doubt if they were entering the bait
traps because they were attracted to lights.  They came to eat.

I've watched the hymenops "cruise" up and down my sheet in the middle of
the night (2:00 am) harvesting moths to eat, and I've seen at my bait
patches after dark.

This thread on hymenops being attracted to light is a little like the
old jokes about wearing tennis shoes to keep elephants out of my house
in Columbus OH.  There are no elephants in my house, thus it must be
because I am wearing tennis shoes.

Happy New Year all.

Eric Metzler
Columbus OH