Query : hornets attracted to light but not wasps

jhimmel at connix.com jhimmel at connix.com
Tue Dec 29 08:35:09 EST 1998

I have both Yellowjackets AND Bald-faced Hornets going after my moths in the
summer.  While they are both in the family vespula, they are NOT the same.  They
are different species and deal with the moths differently.  And while there is
one species of Bald-faced Hornet(V. maculata) that I know of, there are many
species of Yellowjackets.

The Yellowjackets land on the moth, sting it, and bring it to its UNDERGROUND
nest.  The Bald-faced Hornets land on the moth, sting it, and then alight on a
nearby branch where it strips off the wings.  Sometimes it strips off the wings
in flight or on the sheet where the moths are resting.  Then it brings the moth
back to its nest, which is ABOVE ground. Last summer, I was actually able to
find a V. maculata nest by following the trail of discarded moth wings. It was
underneath the eave of my house.  Once either species of hornet finds your moth
sheet, they will continue to utilize it until either they are removed, or the
sheet is moved.

In Connecticut, it's been my experience that the hornets begin hunting for the
moths at dawn.  In order to keep them from picking off the insects on my sheet,
I have to get up before they do, record what I need to, and shake them free.
It's a real pain in the ass.  Of course, when I find the hornets' nests, I
dispatch them.  My family has been severely stung too many times! If anyone
wants to know of an effective way to do this without pesticides, email me.

On a side note:  Other sheet predators include Assassin Bugs, many species of
birds (an Eastern Phoebe actually built her nest right next to my operation),
Raccoons, amphibians (Eastern Toad, Woodfrog, Green Frog, Bull Frog, Pickerel
Frog - all have been recorded at the moth sheet!), and several species of
spiders.

John Himmelman
Killingworth, CT USA
jhimmel at connix.com