hornets / ringlets

ROBERT BUTCHER r.d.j.butcher at dundee.ac.uk
Wed Dec 30 17:46:33 EST 1998

Hi everyone.
two small points
(1) Vespidae in the UK

Tony Pritchard, the original questioner
> wrote  from Suffolk, UK  (i.e., England) and was talking about _Vespa_
> as the hornet.  I'm not familiar enough with British common names to
> know what it is, but I suspect that the use of "wasp" was equally
> specific.  Thus Tony was talking about a difference, or possible
> difference in the behaviour of two particular species or genera, _Vespa_
> and _?_

Yes id agree. In the UK  the term "hornet" is applied to the genus
Vespa (principally Vespa crabro (Linnaeus) although V. s. gribodoi
(Bequaert?) has been infrequently included), that is members of the
Vespidae family (Social wasps, Vespinae subfamily), which
have a black and red-brown upper thorax. In the UK "yellowjacket",
if applied,  is a general term for black and yellow species
(including thorax colour) of Vespidae (our commonest being (S. para)
Vespula vulgaris [Linnaeus]), of which i think there are about 7
species from the genera Dolichovespula and (para)Vespula
(also Vespinae family). In general, the four (para)Vespula species
are ground nesters, the three Doliichovespula species nesting in
trees, bushes etc. Thus it is likely a comparison of species from
Vespidae: Vespinae, the "true wasps" [Not my terminology before the
taxonomists rightly flame me].

(2) Erebia epiphron spp. including E.a. aetheria (Mountain
Ringlet Butterflies).
Ok, so from Hymenoptera back to Leps.
Anyone know much about the various endemic mountain ringlet
"subspecies" (Erebia spp) in the olomites, Alps and Pyrennees
(spelling?) regions of Europe? e.g altitude, when on the wing, range
etc

(3)Today there were two red admirals (Vanessa atalanta [
Linnaeus]), rather scale depleted and torn winged looking in
appearance, "perched" on one of the raod side bill boards in this
city (Dundee, Scotland, UK). The air temperature was6C, and
little sunshine whilst  the last few nights have seen temperatures
within the city of -1 to -7C. I presume they have been disturbed from
hibernation (e.g. in someones house / greenhouse). Well, sad, but i
guess they are well doomed, if not already dead (the outside
temperature is now about -2C but is cloudy so wont fall much more).
 have a good new year
 Rob

Robert Butcher,
Evolutionary and Ecological Entomology Unit,
Department of Biological Sciences,
Dundee University,
Dundee, DD1 4HN,
Tayside, Scotland,
UK.
Work Phone:- 01382-344291 (Office), 01382-344756 (Lab).
Fax:- 01382-344864
e-mail:- r.d.j.butcher at dundee.ac.uk