Query : hornets attracted to light but not wasps

Will Pratt prattw at nevada.edu
Tue Dec 29 10:00:53 EST 1998

Kenelm Philip wrote:

>         Some clarification is needed:
>
>         The term 'wasp' applies to all Hymenoptera except ants and bees. The
> term 'yellowjacket' applies to the two native North American genera in the
> subfamily Vespinae: _Vespula_ and _Dolichovespula_. The true hornets are
> another genus in this subfamily: _Vespa_. One European species, _Vespa
> crabro_, has been introduced to North America.
>
>         Strictly speaking, the term 'hornet' applies to _Vespa_. However,
> in North America the species _D. maculata_ is called the baldfaced hornet,
> although it is also a yellowjacket.

Some further clarification: Tony Pritchard, the original questioner
wrote  from Suffolk, UK  (i.e., England) and was talking about _Vespa_
as the hornet.  I'm not familiar enough with British common names to
know what it is, but I suspect that the use of "wasp" was equally
specific.  Thus Tony was talking about a difference, or possible
difference in the behaviour of two particular species or genera, _Vespa_
and _?_

Will

--
William L. Pratt, Ph.D., Curator of Invertebrates, Barrick Museum
Mail Stop 4012, Univ. Nevada, Las Vegas 89154-4012
(702) 895-1403; Fax (702) 895-3094; prattw at nevada.edu