Query : hornets attracted to light but not wasps

Kenelm Philip fnkwp at aurora.alaska.edu
Wed Dec 30 01:30:06 EST 1998

> I have both Yellowjackets AND Bald-faced Hornets going after my moths in
> the summer.  While they are both in the family vespula, they are NOT the
> same.

> The Yellowjackets land on the moth, sting it, and bring it to its
> UNDERGROUND nest.

	A bit more clarification:

	In North America there are two native genera in the subfamily
Vespinae: _Vespula_ and _Dolichovespula_. All the species in both of these
genera (including the bald-faced hornet, _D. maculata_) are yellowjackets.

	In general, the four non-parasitic species of _Dolichovespula
build aerial nests--but this is not a hard and fast rule, and subterranean
nests are known to occur. The eleven non-parasitic species of _Vespula_
in general build subterranean nests, but aerial nests are known to occur
in some cases, plus nests in building walls, etc.

	_D. maculata_ is larger than the other native yellowjackets. All
the other native yellowjackets would appear similar to the untrained eye.
It is thus not safe to conclude that any yellowjacket (even excluding _D.
maculata_) must have an underground nest, although most will.

	Mr. Himmel's observations on the differences between bald-faced
hornets and other yellowjackets may thus not apply to _all_ other yellow-
jackets--just to the particular species he was observing.

	Removing aerial nests without pesticides (and without being stung):
I have found that yellowjackets do not seem to connect the stream of water
from a hose with the person at the nozzle. It is thus possible (given suf-
ficient water pressure) to remove nests from under the eaves of your house
by spraying them with a concentrated jet from a garden hose. This will, in
a few minutes, break open and then wash away the nest. The occupants will
emerge and fly around the nest--but I have never had them fly down the
water jet and attack me. I suspect that standing quite still while doing
this is indicated...

							Ken Philip
fnkpw at uaf.edu