Baldface'yellowjacket thread

jhimmel at connix.com jhimmel at connix.com
Wed Dec 30 10:15:15 EST 1998

I stand corrected - I have it from a second knowledgable source that Bald-faced
Hornets, while considered "atypical" within the vespula family, are indeed
yellowjackets.

Thank you Kenelm Philip and Carol Lemmon for clarifying this.

And another way to get rid of the underground nests that has worked for me a
number of times:  Put a clear bowl, upside-down, over the entrance of the nest
at night.  Make sure it's snug, put don't press too hard or you'll collapse the
tunnel.  The hornets will not be able to exit to find food and they starve.
Apparently the sunlight coming through the clear bowl inhibits their instinct to
dig a new tunnel since nothing seems wrong with the current one.  I had to do
this just last year next to my moth sheet, where they had "conveniently" set up
shop!
John Himmelman
Killingworth, CT USA
jhimmel at connix.com