Luna Moth larvae

Thomas, Tony tthomas at S0-OTT-XBH1.NRCan.gc.ca
Thu Feb 5 15:28:35 EST 1998

TO: Members of the Lepidopterists' Society

	In a recent news of the Lep. Society (Vol 39, Number 4, Autumn
1997) Valerie A. Passoa criticized a photo' of a Luna Moth caterpillar
taken by Carter Bays - asserting that the larva was upside down and that
luna larvae do not rest in that position (i.e., with their head up). I
am not certain that she is correct. I have just set up a web page that
happens to contain a photo' of a luna larva. This specimen was reared in
the laboratory on white birch, and was photographed while resting. I
notice that in my photo' the larva is resting with its head up. At the
time I took the photo' I paid no attention to the larva's posture, I
simply wanted a photograph. The only possible un-natural aspect of the
photo' is that the larva was raised indoors. Possibly "in the wild'"
larvae always rest head down.
	The image can be seen at:

		http://www.fcmr.forestry.ca

and then clicking on "Giant Silkmoths of Fundy National Park"

Tony

Dr. A.W. Thomas
Research Scientist
Canadian Forest Service - Atlantic Forestry Centre
Natural Resources Canada
Fredericton, N.B.
E3B 5P7
 e-mail: tony.thomas at nrcan.gc.ca