Luna Moth larvae

Chris Conlan conlan at adnc.com
Fri Feb 6 02:44:01 EST 1998

>TO: Members of the Lepidopterists' Society
>
>        In a recent news of the Lep. Society (Vol 39, Number 4, Autumn
>1997) Valerie A. Passoa criticized a photo' of a Luna Moth caterpillar
>taken by Carter Bays - asserting that the larva was upside down and that
>luna larvae do not rest in that position (i.e., with their head up). I
>am not certain that she is correct.

I read that note in Lep Soc News as well.  I believe she (Valerie) was
merely trying to point out that all too often photos of Saturniid larvae
and others are not displayed in the same position as they were originally
photographed.  It seems more natural to the inexperienced eye to place the
larva in the heads-up position when this is usually not the case.  To say
that Saturniid larvae always remain in the heads down position is certainly
not true.  However, especially in the later instars when they are larger,
the larvae do spend the vast majority of their time hanging downward from
the branches.  This is a much more "gravity friendly" position requiring
less energy expense.  I realize this all may seem a bit trivial but it's
kind of interesting to note the very high frequency with which it happens.
Hope this helps.

Chris
conlan at adnc.com