early moths

Dr. James Adams jadams at carpet.dalton.peachnet.edu
Tue Feb 10 10:19:19 EST 1998

Dear listers,

           For those of you interested in such things, I have a few
more records to report as the 1998 season progresses.  This winter
has provided a significant number of mid 40's and drizzly nights,
which are ideal for baiting in the middle of the winter down here.
Typically, as reported before, we get significant numbers of
Metaxaglaea, Sericaglaea, Eupsilia and Lithophane.  Well, this winter
has been a horrible one where Lithophane are concerned, though two L.
lemmeri are worth mentioning. The best catch this winter so far has
been the second state record of Eupsilia tristigmata, and, although
none were collceted, one night a couple of weeks ago produced over
thirty individuals of several Eupsilia species at bait.  Also
interesting is that a colleague over in Huntsville, Alabama, reported
an incredibly early season record for the Luna Moth (Actias luna) on
January 31.  Tonight looks to be another rainy, upper 40's night here
-- looking forward to what may come to the bait.

         James