Collecting in Florida (Neil)

E.D.Chesmore E.D.Chesmore at e-eng.hull.ac.uk
Fri Feb 13 04:32:59 EST 1998

Neil

Sorry if my message seems too personal.  I am only stating
a fact.  Also, you well know my opinions on the matter.
What we need is rational debate, not emotional outbursts.
Comparing a butterfly net to a rifle is ludicrous (I know
you didn't originate this but you agree with it).  After
all, where are we going to get our future entomologists if
children aren't allowed to collect anything?

I notice the anti-collecting issues are extending to just
about anything - rocks, fossils, etc.  Soon we won't even
be allowed to pick a leaf off a tree!

I agree with regulation as far as rare and endagnere
species go but we can't get to the point of only being
allowed to collect the Large (P. brassicae) and Small White
(P. napi) butterflies as in Germany.

Enough. I said I wouldn't get into the argument.

Dr David Chesmore, FRES
Control & Intelligent Systems Engineering Group
Department of Electronic Engineering
University of Hull
Hull, HU6 7RX, UK.
Tel: +1482 465062; Fax: +1482 466664