moth taxonomy

Martin Honey M.Honey at nhm.ac.uk
Mon Feb 16 02:58:39 EST 1998

Dear Lynda

At 12:04 15/02/98 -0800, you wrote:
>I identified a moth using "The Moth Book" by W. J. Holland.  1917.  This
>book is so old that many of the taxonomic names have changed.  Is there
>a document that crosslists the old taxonomic names with new ones?

I think the answer to this is yes - you need a copy of "An Update to the
Nomenclature of Holland's Moth Book" by Joel M. Johnson. We have a copy of
this booklet, the foreword of which is dated 1994. We purchased it but I'm
not sure from whom or how widely available it is. The address that is given
inside is Joel M. Johnson, 59 East 400 North, Payson, UT 84651.

>Also can any one tell me what the new taxonomic names of these two species are?

According to the MONA checklist the two species are listed as follows:

>Pherne placearia: this is the same
>
>Syneda edwardsi: this is now Synedoida edwardsi

Hope this helps

Martin
Martin R. Honey CBiol MIBiol, Linnaean Butterfly Project
Biodiversity Division, Department of Entomology
The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road
London, SW7 5BD, Great Britain
TELEPHONE: 0171 938 8735     International: 44 171 938 8735
FAX:       0171 938 8937     International: 44 171 938 8937
EMAIL:     M.Honey at nhm.ac.uk