American Somoa

Chuck Vaughn aa6g at aa6g.org
Fri Feb 20 10:39:54 EST 1998

Jim Hanlon wrote:

>Does anyone know what the butterfly diversity is like in American Samoa? Do
>birdwings and other exotic neotropical species inhabit the island? Or are the
>butterflies closer to the species that inhabit Honolulu? Are there any
>reference field guides for the area?

You're question reminded me of my trip to Tahiti in 1981. What I noticed
about the islands was the minimal insect life for what were lush tropical
islands. I only remember seeing just one butterfly and it looked like it could
have been a Neotropical longwing of some kind. I always assumed that since
French Polynesia is very isolated and geologically young since the largest
islands are volcanic in origin that few species would have found their way
there and many have probably been introduced by man. I wonder if the same is
true for American Samoa?

Chuck Vaughn <aa6g at aa6g.org>