logging and butterflies

Mark Walker mwalker at aisvt.bfg.com
Fri Feb 27 08:03:49 EST 1998

Norbert Kondla wrote:

>i would appreciate citations for any literature (formally published and
>also government or institutional reports) on the topic of forest
>harvesting and effects on butterflies in temperate and boreal
>ecosystems. heck, even anecdotal observations would be welcome (eg. i
>have been watching/collecting butterflies in area x with y habitats for
>z years and when the loggers cut the trees i found that the following
>things happened to the butterflies)

Logging seems to have had an impact on several local populations of Erora
laeta in southern Vermont.  The bug and it's life cycle are still shrouded
in mystery, but at least one acquaintance of mine who has monitored a
particular population for a few decades has reported that the increased
logging activity in the region (Beech is the suspected foodplant here)
appears to have disturbed the colony.  In recent years the logging has been
isolated to one slope or another, and my friend has noticed the population
shift to the undisturbed slopes.  Now, the logging seems to be more
indiscriminant (it's not clearcutting, however).  Last year the butterfly
numbers were down, but then we had a cold spring so it's a little early
(excuse the pun) to tell.  Historically, the adult populations of E. laeta
have been known to fluctuate.  This year may be more revealing.  I suppose
it depends largely on where the darn thing pupates.  Is it in the fruit?
Under the bark?  Under the ground cover?  Those of us up here who are
watching will be sure and keep the rest of you posted...

Mark Walker
Castleton, VT