Erora laeta + logging

Thomas, Tony tthomas at nrcan.gc.ca
Fri Feb 27 08:47:51 EST 1998

Norbert Kondla asked about the impact of logging on butterfly
populations. Mark Walker answered that he suspected logging in Vermont
was affecting the early hairstreak and commented that the bug's life
cycle is shrouded in mystery.
	I have reared E. laeta from field-collected larvae in New
Brunswick. The larvae feed on beech nuts, both on the outside pericarp
and then boring to the inside to feed on the nut. They would not eat
leaves. They pupated on the beech leaves (in the rearing container,
their choices were limited). I have noticed that not all of our beech
trees produce nuts every year; it is possible that nut production has a
great influence on the population dynamics of the butterfly. Of course,
logging of beech certainly precludes the production of fruit!

Tony

Dr. A.W. Thomas
Research Scientist
Canadian Forest Service - Atlantic Forestry Centre
Natural Resources Canada
Fredericton, N.B.
E3B 5P7
 e-mail: tony.thomas at nrcan.gc.ca