Cold tolerance

HeinzeDJAK heinzedjak at aol.com
Tue Feb 24 19:46:15 EST 1998

Hello everyone out there!

Today my first polyphemus of the year hatched out.  It is a female, and is 1-2
weeks early, from looking at my other cocoons.  I know from personal experience
that if you put a female in the fridge, after a unknown period of time, she
will degrade in fertility.  I was wondering if anyone out there has any idea
just how long I can put her in the fridge before she begins to degrade.

I seriously doubt that she will call any males in, as I have been collecting
cocoons all winter, and I think it unlikely that I missed one right around our
house.  But, despite what I think, I do have her in a tank were she can call a
male in tonight, but I imagine she will start laying eggs tomorrow (mated or
not), so I will need any information you can give me a fairly quickly.

Thanks in advance,
Dar