how release larvae? dispersal?

Liz Day lday at iquest.net
Wed Jul 1 12:49:39 EDT 1998

Hi Anne,

> 	A blob of Tacky Glue (thick white glue) or an instant glue might
> stick the leaf to another leaf more quickly and effectively than your
> thread-tying. One would hope that the caterpillar would not blunder into
> it before it dried. If so, it wouldn't be wasted. Ants appreciate this
> sort of donation.

Hmmm.  I don't want to donate to ants!!!  Have done plenty of that here in
my house.  They ate a pupae while it was still alive.  Bleah.

I wonder whether the nature center would like to create a large display
> of these larvae, as they have an ample supply of food available. Or
> maybe you can foist them onto your local zoo.

HAH.  THe zoo, the nature center, several friends, a school, already
have some - that's where the *OTHER* 100 went!  Maybe I should stand at
traffic intersections like those charities do and hand them out...  :-)

> 	What happened to Fred?

Fred died in late winter.  I guess regal moth pupae weren't meant to make
it through two winters.  I buried him in the backyard.

Liz