Large moths in small spaces.

Anne Kilmer viceroy at gate.net
Mon Jul 6 04:52:58 EDT 1998

Leo Karl wrote:

> I am curious about how large moths apparently manage to get through
> small spaces.
>
> Is there any reason to think that they have particular abilities to
> enter places where other insects are prohibited?
>
> I would appreciate any thoughts.
>
> Leo

Unstable molecules. The Fantastic Four explained this to us all long
ago.

As I gaze at my screens, I see narrow gaps on the sides where any
enterprising insect might squeeze through. It is amazing what critters
do when they are motivated.
My cat, for instance, who requires that a door be open at least 18
inches before she will walk through, is able to squish through a
two-inch (vertical) gap  in the jalousies when she wishes to go out.
	Moths are much smaller than you think they are; they can fold as
well as squeezing. Like a feather, they are mostly fluff. Their children
are even smaller and more willing to pass through impassible barriers.
	Good old flypaper around a nightlight is a good way to capture
these little guys, but there are probably better ways.
Anne Kilmer
South Florida