Collection permit ideas

DR. JAMES ADAMS jadams at Carpet.dalton.peachnet.edu
Wed Jul 22 09:31:08 EDT 1998

Dear Listers,

           As the discussion continued on this topic, I remained
troubled by a couple of aspects of the discussion.  You already know
how I feel about the "market value" aspect -- I made that clear
earlier.  But I have an additional point to make about the "market
value" aspect.  If a country's policy ends up including something
about current market value of an insect, understand that the market
value of an insect will be driven up by deforestation, making the
insects more local, more difficult to obtain, and therefore more
"valuable".  This sounds like an incredibly vicious circle to me,
with little being done to curb the real problem of habitat
destruction.  Secondly, to reiterate something that Mark Walker
mentioned earlier, the permit laws are considered necessary to curb
any kind of overzealous collecting, but those who would participate
in the overzealous collecting are likely to find their way around the
laws no matter what they are (though suffer the consequences if
they're caught).  But we all are therefore penalized.  Anything seem
wrong with this to anyone else?

           James
              James