UK butterflies mud-puddling

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Mon Jul 27 07:41:54 EDT 1998

Pieris rapae in New Jersey, does engage in puddling. Of course we
haven't had any puddles in several weeks.  It's not a prominent
activity, in that most of the time when there are Whites and puddles we
don't see any puddling.  But sometimes there will be 20 or more, so
there may be a social component in addition to or instead of a nutritive
component.  Or it may be that they all experience the same nutritive
stress simultaneously.  Somewhere I had data on the sex ratio at puddles
and flowers simultaneously.

M. Gochfeld