Karner Blue: Mark Walker's query

Anne Kilmer viceroy at gate.net
Mon Jun 8 03:49:38 EDT 1998

Michael Gochfeld wrote:

> I've wondered about that too.  I've also wonder why some Scrub Oak
> communities have Edward's Hairstreak in abundance while others have
> none.
>
> One suggestion made to me was that the commensal ant might not be
> available.
>
> Another issue for Vermont might have to do with snow cover and
> vulnerability of the overwintering eggs.  Although like so many
> explanations this could cut both ways.  If there's not enough snow cover
> the eggs may be exposed and dessicate.  If there's too much or too long
> snow cover, that may be bad also.
>
> Mike Gochfeld

In any case, the USDA frowns upon bringing butterflies (or any insect)
into any area where they are not indigenous, whether they would like it
there or not.
You can get around this regulation by laying a trail of host plants from
where the butterflies live to where you live. Your Department of
Transportation is probably involved, as so many of them are, in planting
and maintaining native wildflowers along rights of way. Slip them some
lupine seeds and whisper a prayer.
	One of the best things we're doing is making foot paths where
railways used to be. As butterfly gardens, these have the advantage that
the butterflies are not whisked into traffic and smashed.
	As always, one hopes that a good native site is not destroyed to
 create a "nature trail".
As for the obligatory ants, don't mess with that. By all means
investigate whether the appropriate ants are there, and find out their
wishes, but don't go shipping ants around without USDA permits.
	I wonder if our new ant, Technomyrmex albipes, tends blues. It
certainly does seem to love aphids and scale ... New Hope for the Miami
Blue; I can see the headlines now. Boy, I never saw so many ants!
Anne Kilmer
South Florida